Dir Permissions

Chris Siebenmann cks at ziebmef.UUCP
Thu May 19 06:02:55 AEST 1988

In article <113 at 3bee2.UUCP> lyman at 3bee2.UUCP (William S. Lyman Jr.) writes:
>  I am running the News software for Usenet and when it goes to create
>a directory for the new group it is not what I defined it for in local-
>ize.sh it is making them Owner root Grp root.

 Make sure inews is setuid news, setgid news. That's what I run here
(on a 3B1/7300), and I'm having no trouble with it. It is definetly
not (as someone has already suggested) that your system is polling
people not under the news uid; my system works just fine with uucp
jobs running under the uucpadm UID. Also make sure that your inews is
creating new directories mode 777 and that /usr/spool/news is also
mode 777 (see the comments in the news installation documentation for
why this is necessary).

--
	"Oh BLESS you, sir! The ANGEL OF DEATH was after me just as SURE as
	 you're standing there, yes he WAS!"