A bunch of questions about UUCP on the Unix PC

Scott Hazen Mueller scott at zorch.UU.NET
Wed May 18 05:56:17 AEST 1988

In article <363 at icus.UUCP> lenny at icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>As far as CPU hogging, I would suggest to do your news uncompressing/batching
>at odd(late night) hours.  This way the impact won't be so apparent.

What I've found to help for news unbatching is the public domain dbm
replacement posted to the Usenet recently.  Do be careful though - version
1.0 of this (dbz) is buggy and news compiled with it doesn't reject
duplicate articles correctly.  Version 1.3 seems to work okay.  The
performance improvement is impressive - it used to take ~5 minutes to
decompress/unbatch news; with dbz it takes about 2 minutes.

Write me if you're interested and can't find the source.

--
Scott Hazen Mueller   scott at zorch.UU.NET
(408) 245-9461        (pyramid|tolerant|uunet)!zorch!scott