How to run a 7300 with 220 V and 50 Hz?

Oskar von der Luehe ovdluhe at ethz.UUCP
Fri Nov 4 20:31:10 AEST 1988

Hello net-landers,

I am in the process of bringing an AT&T Unix-PC from the States back to
Europe. Of course, the machine runs on 110 V and 60 Hz. I was trying to
figure out what it would take to get the machine running on 220 V
(should not be too difficult) and 50 Hz (may be more of a problem). The
documentation that came with the machine as well as with the software
(PC Unix Rev. 3.51 and 3.51 Utilities) doesn't tell much about the
hardware. The machine is one of the smaller 7300 versions; i. e., it has
512 KB RAM and the slow 20 MB hard disk. Motherboard revision level is
P3...P5.

There are three scenarios, as far as I can see:

1.)  Swap or re-solder a jumper in the power supply, because AT&T or CT
had the foresight to make the PC internationally power-compatible. Most
preferrable solution, of course. Some of the phone installation
procedures indicated international features, if I recall correctly. So
this possibility might not be completely out of the question.

2.)  Get a 220V - to - 110V transformer at 400 VA and don't care about
50/60 Hz. Costs: about $100. Would work if there is nothing in the
machine that depends on 60 Hz. The most likely candidate for 60 Hz
dependance would be the monitor - unfortunately I have no way of finding
out. Also, the power supply might perform differently if it is fed with
50 Hz instead of 60 Hz.

3.)  Get a 400 VA 220V-to-110V, 50Hz-to-60Hz converter. Sure bet, but
sounds uncomfortably expensive. I don't know if those things even exist
at a reasonable price.

Is there anybody out there who has experience with this problem or who
happens to have the apropriate documentation handy? I appreciate ANY
information. I am willing to post a summary. Please reply by e-mail or
post to comp.sys.att (to my greatest distress, I can't receive
"unix-pc.*" newsgroups here) - this might be of common interest.

Oskar

Oskar von der Luehe			UUCP: "...!cernvax!ethz!ovdluhe"
Institut fuer Astronomie	    (Other mailboxes under construction)
ETH-Zentrum
CH-8092 Zuerich			"...opinions? Why would I have opinions?"
Switzerland