adding memory to 6386E

Lee Begeja[cwc] lee at ulysses.homer.nj.att.com
Mon Nov 14 23:21:31 AEST 1988

In article <2258 at ethos.UUCP>, gary at ethos.UUCP (Gary J. Smith) writes:

> In adding memory to the 6386E, is it necessary to purchase an add-on
> board, or can memory chips be added into the empty sockets on the
> original board?  I have a couple of the 1MB "Simm Kits", but the
> computer fails to recognize the memory when I simply plug them into
> the empty sockets.  No instructions came with the simm kits.

My simm kitts came with an installation guide which was necessary and
sufficient to enable me to get the memory on the board.

You can add the simm chips to the empty sockets on the board but they
must be in the "correct slots" (unless you are fully populating the board).
In addition, there are 2 dip switches on the board that must be properly
set depending on how much memory you are adding.

If you cant get hold of the installationguide, email me the details
and I'll look it up for you.

Lee Begeja  201/582-5777 att!ulysses!lee