standards and ATT

Bill Mayhew wtm at neoucom.UUCP
Thu Nov 17 07:18:36 AEST 1988

You still left us hanging; does the DTE have a DB25S or a DB25P on
it?  The lastest issue I have is the August 1969 EIA RS-232-C
specification, and it only recommends that the connectors have 25
leads; it doesn't specify physical form factor.

It seems to me that previously most DTEs had sockets and therefore
required an extension cord with plugs on each end and leads 1,2,3,
4,5,6,7,8 and 20 wired straight through.  That made VT-100s and IBM
XT serial ports the odd men out.

Using DB25S connectors on the 6386 WGS is consistent with other DTE
devices that AT&T sells.  I have an Intelliport 8 port board in my
IBM model 80, and that fans out to DB25S connectors too.

Unfortunately, I believe we shan't ever see a standard-conforming
RS-232 connector.  I like the MIDI serial connectors used to
wire synthesizers together:  reasonable baud rate (31250), only one
type of cable, and only one way to hook things up.  Totally idiot
proof (well, almost!).

--Bill