A Client/Server Version of MINIX for 68000

Barnacle Wes wes at obie.UUCP
Wed Nov 2 14:34:42 AEST 1988

In article <113 at bsadrc.UUCP>, usenet at bsadrc.UUCP (Darrel R. Carver) writes:
> [1] I purchase a stripped down version of the ATARI ST (i.e. the
>     minimum configuration of the 1M ST with no hard drive).

Well, you'd better hurry.  My dealer told me a couple of weeks ago Atari
won't be making any more 1040STs (the 1 meg machine), only 520STfm's
(512K, 720K floppy, and RF Modulator).  Of course, they just dropped the
price of the Mega 2, which is a MUCH better machine from a "packaging"
standpoint, to $1295 (for monochrome).  If you've got the money, get it
instead.  It fits on a desk a lot easier, and the keyboard is really
pretty good.

> I was thinking of having the process that runs on the 3B1 use the 3B1
> file system (say under the directory /minix) and do a chroot after
> getting to that directory.  All file manipulation commands would work
> using the 3B1's system calls and the data passed using the current
> MINIX message system. [...]
> The systems would be linked through their RS232 ports.

Does the 3B1 have a parallel printer port?  The parallel port on the ST
is bidirectional, and it might be possible to use it instead (with
better data rates one would hope :-).  This would shorten the cable
length you could use, but gain speed.  Good Luck, and let us know how
it's going.  You might want to look at the "Amoeba" networking code for
PC Minix and base your system on that - all you would have to do is hack
the Amoeba code into the ST Minix, and then write an Amoeba server for
the 3B1.  (Simple enough, as long as YOU do, right :-).

	Wes Peters

--
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

"How come he didn't put `I think' at the end of it?" - James P. Hogan