RFS, StarLAN, TCP/IP and 3b2's

Rob Healey rhealey at ub.d.umn.edu
Wed Nov 30 11:34:17 AEST 1988

	I'm having some problems with 3b2's and networking.

	First the setup:

	Hardware: Various 3b2's with NI and NAU interfaces.

	Software: AT&T, obviously, System V 3.1 UNIX
		  10BASE5 package
		  NSU package
		  WIN TCP/IP package
		  StarLAN package
		  RFS package with associated support packages

		  All the above packages are for the 3.X OS, the problems
		  aren't because I have software packages that were for
		  the 2.x OS. TCP and StarLAN both function perfectly on
		  their respective nets. I'm trying to mix/gateway the
		  2 and it isn't working too well... B^(. Anyways,

	Problem #1:

	I tried to get RFS to run on BOTH TCP/IP and StarLAN. RFS seems
	to only want to run on ONE kind of transport at a time. I can
	run it on either TCP/IP or StarLAN but NOT both. Is it possible
	to convince RFS to create 2 systems? One for StarLAN and one for
	TCP/IP? I know you can gateway multiple nets on ONE kind of
	transport, TCP or StarLAN, but I want to mount services from
	BOTH transports. An example:

	Machine A: 3b2 running StarLAN only. i.e. ONLY a NAU board installed.
	Machine B: 3b2 running StarLAN and TCP, i.e. BOTH NI and NAU
		   boards installed.
	Machine C: 3b2 running TCP only. i.e. ONLY a NI board installed.

		Machine B is to be a gateway between the TCP and StarLAN nets.
		The goal is to mount directorys from A and C on B. Also,
		directorys on B will be mounted on both A and C. Note: A will
		not be able to mount directorys on C and vice-versa.

		What happened: I can only get RFS to set up for one transport,
		TCP or StarLAN. It doesn't appear that you can run RFS with
		2 different transports. Can someone say one way or the other
		if this is a fact or do I just have to RTFM a little closer?
		Can you set up 2 sets of servers, one for TCP and the other
		for StarLAN?

	Problem #2:

	StarLAN has oodles of peewee clients on it. A client uses StarLAN
	to log into machine B; the gateway machine. When the person trys
	to use ANY of the TCP software on B, i.e. telnet, rcp, ftp, rlogin etc
	the software hangs. The ONLY combination that does this is
	StarLAN->gateway->TCP. TCP->gateway->StarLAN works fine. Does
	anyone know of bugs in the WINs software that would do/cause this?
	Is is bugs in StarLAN?

	If someone has idea's on this please e-mail and I'll give more
	details. No use wasting more NET bandwidth on something so site
	specific.

			Thanks,

			-Rob Healey

			rhealey at ub.d.umn.edu