UNIX-PC: Problem with Keyboard

John B. Milton jbm at uncle.UUCP
Mon Nov 21 10:38:40 AEST 1988

In article <1988Nov17.133920.26852 at sq.uucp> steve at sq.com (Steve Hurrell) writes:
>The up_arrow key on my UNIX-PC keyboard has suddenly ceased to work. Is there
>anyone out there that has any suggestions about repairing this problem?
>
>BTW: Will someone post a description as to how this type of keyboard works.
>
>If repairing the keyboard is hopeless. Does any kind soul have a spare keyboard
>they would consider parting with? Send e-mail.

The keyboard uses separate enclosed switches. These switches are normally
closed (i.e. pushed). In the key cap is a little rubber doughnut thingy that
keeps the key up, and gives it a sort of ka-chunk feel rather than a spring.
If the key does not work at all, I would go to Radio Shack and get some TV
tuner cleaner, remove the key cap (they just pop right off), blast A LITLLE
into the holes in the top, wipe off the excess so it doesn't get on the rubber,
put it back together and try again.

If it doesn't work, you can use the keyfix program to remap the up arrow to
anther key, swap the key caps, and save up the money to get a new one from
DDS is Marietta Georgia. They want $30.00 for what came in the styrofoam box:
1. keyboard
2. mouse
3. mouse cable
4. keyabord cable
5. mouse ball

John

John Bly Milton IV, jbm at uncle.UUCP, n8emr!uncle!jbm at osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu
(614) h:294-4823, w:459-7644;  MS-DOS is a beautiful flower that smells bad!