Info-3B2 Digest, Issue 41

Info-3b2 Mailer info-3b2 at lamc.UUCP
Wed Nov 30 23:50:18 AEST 1988

                           Info-3b2 Digest, Number 41

                         Wednesday, November 30th 1988

Today's Topics:

                             How to compare kernels?
                                    TCP/SLIP

Subject:  How to compare kernels?
Date: 28 Nov 88 10:04:20 CST (Mon)
From: ucsfmis!ide!uunet!btni!mcmi!denny (Dennis Page)

>   Boot each kernel and do /etc/sysdef.

One need not boot the kernel to do a sysdef.  The format of sysdef is:
/etc/sysdef [system_namelist [master.d]]
Defaults are /unix and /etc/master.d.

$ sysdef /unix > /tmp/uconfig.new
$ sysdef /unix.old > /tmp/uconfig.old
$ diff /tmp/uconfig.old /tmp/uconfig.new

These will display the differences some exceptions.  One of which is
the default ULIMIT.  Another, which is an undocumented (at least in
the released manuals) parameter of master.d/kernel, is AUTOBOOT which
preforms the same as AUTODUMP, except with regard to power failure.
Anybody have any other undocumented configuraton parameters they would
like to share?

Denny