Verbose modems (Re: MORE 6386 UUCP WOES)

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Thu Nov 10 01:33:17 AEST 1988

In article <5203 at cbmvax.UUCP> ditto at cbmvax.UUCP (Michael "Ford" Ditto) writes:

>My point was that Unix has the software support required to handle
>modems the way they were meant to work -- using EIA signals rather
>than ASCII strings sent by a microprocessor in the modem.  There is
>no reason to have a dialin modem in verbose mode in the first place.

Where is the EIA signal to indicate 9600 vs. 4800 vs. 2400 vs. 1200
baud connection?  Where is the software support for it?  The real
point is that modern microprocessor controlled modems have many more
features than those available when the EIA signals were defined (although
it is still reasonable to expect DCD to indicate a connection to a
remote modem).  ASCII strings are the only way to access the new features,
so why hasn't the software support caught up.  Why can't getty be told
to match the speed of a connection?  (I know something like this has been
posted.)  Why doesn't uucp's dialer pay attention to the CONNECT message and
change speeds if necessary?

Les Mikesell