AT&T System V Rel 3 for 80386

Hans Jespersen hjespersen at trillium.waterloo.edu
Mon Nov 28 06:45:27 AEST 1988

In article <778 at auvax.UUCP> louis at auvax.UUCP (Louis Schmittroth) writes:
>In article <2224 at cuuxb.ATT.COM>, fmcgee at cuuxb.ATT.COM (~XT4103000~Frank McGee~C23~M24~6326~) writes:
>< discussion on 386 UNIX from AT&T on Compaq 386 >
>
>I bought the 6386 UNIX SYSTEM V Rel 3 from ELEK-TEK in Lincolnwood, IL,
>and have been trying, unsuccessfully, to install it on a Televideo
>
> [full description of setup deleted]
>
>Suspicion:  There is something different about the TELE-386, or the
>package I got is strictly for the AT&T 6386.  The label on the first
>disk is:  1331001-MC06-0319-X Ver 1.0.  The top of the label says it
>is 386 UNIX System V Release 3.1.
>
>BTW, I had been lead to believe that I was getting the development set,
>but only the foundation set came.

I would send the whole thing back and get the Release 3.2 Foundation Set.
Release 3.2 has MANY advantages over 3.1 (one of which is it runs on
machines other than the 6386 ). Simultask 2.0 (VP/ix) is much better
(and faster) than Simultask 1.0. It should be noted that Simultask 2.0
runs only on 386 UNIX System V Release 3.2. In addition, with rel. 3.2
you get XENIX binary compatibility. As for the level of compatibility,
I have successfully managed to install XENIX Oracle and SCO FoxBase+
running under the merged UNIX/XENIX (with only minor tweeks). From
what you have written it seems that the merged UNIX is a better solution.

Hope this helps.