3rd party tape drive in 6386: Anybody done it?

Jim Rosenberg jr at amanue.UUCP
Mon Nov 28 07:51:39 AEST 1988

I need to specify a 386 machine running some form of UNIX extremely soon.  For
a variety of reasons, at the moment I'm strongly inclined toward the AT&T 6386.
I hear the price from AT&T for a tape drive is pretty steep.  There are some
inexpensive AT Bus tape drives with drivers for Xenix and possibly Interactive.
Paul Homchick (cgh!paul) tells me that AT&T is claiming V.3.2 Xenix binary
compatibility is so good it will link and run Xenix drivers.  If so this is
pretty impressive, and would open the door to all kinds of 3rd party
peripherals.  So the question:  Has anybody actually put this to the test?  Is
anybody actually *RUNNING* a tape drive on a 6386 with a price around not more
than say $600 - $700?  I'd appreciate any war stories, good & bad.
--
 Jim Rosenberg
     CIS: 71515,124                         decvax!idis! \