UNIXpc power supply & monitor jiggles

Darren Friedlein darren at bacchus.UUCP
Sun Nov 13 03:47:47 AEST 1988

I woke up one day last week to find that bacchus's power supply
was dead.  This sent me into panic since I know what a pain it
is to get parts from AT&T (and I found out Convergent was as
much a hassle).  After trying for a few days, I gave up, grabbed
a 220watt PC/AT power supply and warmed up the soldering iron.
The next day (I work slow) I had my machine up and running.  In
case someone else gets in this situation, here is a list of
voltages for that long power connector thing - starting at the
rear of the machine and working forward:
     GND
     +5
     GND
     +5
     GND
     +5
     GND
     +5
     GND
     +5
     GND
     +12
     GND
     +12
     GND
     +12
     GND
     -12

Now for the BIG problem - the cause...  It seems that the male part of the
power supply connector (on the PC board) is not made right.  I've spoken
with two other people who have this same problem.  The solder joints on the
bottom of the p/s PC board were ALL cracked.  If you have this problem and
your p/s is still working, re-soldering all the solder joints is highly
recommended.

Monitor jiggles - since I put in the new power supply, I haven't had one
problem with monitor jiggles (whereas it was constant before).  I think
the cause of it was the poorly-soldered p/s connector in my original p/s.
If you have "uncontrollable jiggles," you might want to check this as
well.

-darren
         ____
        /    \
       |                                 Rt 4, Box 416, Durham, NC 27703
  _____|_____     Darren G. Friedlein      data (bacchus) : 919/596-7746
 /     |     \                                      voice : 919/596-9492
 \____/    __/   {mcnc|icus|ditka|ethos|gladys|bakerst}!bacchus!darren