AT&T VDC750 (EGA) and VDC600 (VGA) cards: Information please!!

Ralph Heredia ralph at mtunf.ATT.COM
Tue Nov 15 23:59:37 AEST 1988

In article <273 at galen.acc.virginia.edu> gdj5t at krebs.acc.Virginia.EDU (Glenn Jones) writes:
>I've got an AT&T 6300 PC (ROM BIOS 1.43, P8 video board) with an Taxan 650
>color monitor (which is great when it works, but seems to have poor
>reliability).  I'm considering upgrading the graphics and need some info.

[deleted]
>Also, could someone also provide more information on the new AT&T VDC600 (VGA)
>card?  Will it work in all modes EXCEPT VGA on my EXISTING monitor (or can I
>buy the VDC600 now and wait to get a new VGA or multisync monitor later)?
>Also, what are the advantages of the VDC600 as compared to other VGA cards.
>P.S. I know I also need to buy the W. Allen "6300 bus correction kit".
[deleted]

>Glen Jones
>U.Va. Biochem Dept., Box 440  >	UUCP: ...!uunet!virginia!gdj5t
>Charlottesville, VA 22908     > BITNET: gdj5t at virginia.BITNET
>(804) 924-2373		      >	CSNET: gdj5t at acc.virginia.edu

The VDC 600 requires an Analog Monitor like most if not
all VGA cards.
EGA and CGA cards use digital monitors so those monitors CANNOT
be used with the VDC600.

The VDC600 has all standard VGA modes PLUS the following AT&T Standard
Modes:

AT&T 640x400x2 color Hi-res Graphics (6300 Display Resolution) mode 40h
AT&T 640x400x16 Color VGA MODE (Similar in color to DEB) mode 42h
AT&T 640x400 Tiny Text  Mode 48h

Plus 9 other Extended VGA modes.
Of them, the most interesting being:

640x400x256 Color from a 256K Pallette
800x600x16 Color from a 256K Pallette
The attached chart shows all of the modes found in the VDC600.

Mode #			Simult.	Alpha	Pels x		Char
(Hex)	Type		Colors	Format	Lines		Cell
=
0,1	Text		16	40x25	360x400		9x16
2,3	Text		16	80x25	720x400		9x16
4,5	Graphics	4	40x25	320x200+	8x8
6	Graphics	2	80x25	640x200+	8x8
7	Text		Mono	80x25	720x350		9x14
D	Graphics	16	40x25	320x200+	8x8
E	Graphics	16	80x25	640x200+	8x8
F	Graphics	Mono	80x25	640x350		8x14
10	Graphics	16	80x25	640x350		8x14
11	Graphics	2	80x30	640x480		8x16
12	Graphics	16	80x30	640x480		8x16
13	Graphics	256	40x25	320x200+	8x8
40	Graphics	Mono	80x25	640x400		8x16
42	Graphics	16	80x25	640x400		8x16
46	Graphics	2	100x40	800x600		8x15
47	Graphics	16	100x37	800x600		8x16
48	Graphics	Mono	80x50	640x400		8x8
54	Text		16	132x43	924x387		7x9
55	Text		16	132x25	924x400		7x16
56	Text		2	132x43	924x387		7x9
57	Text		2	132x25	924x400		7x16
58	Graphics	16	100x75	800x600		8x8
59	Graphics	2	100x75	800x600		8x8
5E	Graphics	256	80x25	640x400		8x16
5Fxx	Graphics	256	80x30	640x480		8x16
7E***	SPECIAL
7F****	GATEWAY
0*,1*	Text	16	40x25	320x200+		8x8
2*,3*	Text	16	80x25	640x200+		8x8
2**,3**	Text	16	80x25	640x350			8x14

+ = while 200 unique lines are displayed, each line is double-scanned,
resulting in an actual 400 lines displayed within the active display area.
* = Same mapping and attributes as modes 0,1,2 and 3, respectively except
controller is placed into a 200 line double scanned display mode.
** = Mapping and attributes match modes 2 and 3 except 350 lines used.
*** = SPECIAL SELECT. See "Special Select" section for description.
**** = GATEWAY mode. Used for switching to CGA, MDA, and VGA operation and back.
xx = Mode present in BIOS but requires 512K RAM to function. Reserved as a
future enhancement.

NOTE:  The chart displayed above may contain modes that may have
changed.  All of the modes are in the VDC600 but the mode Number may
have changed. For more up to date information see the VDC600 User's
Guide which accompanies the VDC600.
--
Ralph Heredia                EMAIL: ihnp4!mtunf!ralph or attmail!rheredia
AT&T 200 Laurel Ave.  Middletown, NJ 07748    (201) 957-2567