VP/ix

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Sat Nov 19 05:15:50 AEST 1988

In article <144 at ecicrl.UUCP> clewis at ecicrl.UUCP (Chris Lewis) writes:

>Try some harder ones like programs doing direct video ram writes, Microsoft
>Windows, Wordstar, WordPerfect, Lotus, Symphony and I have it from a
>relatively reliable source that a VP/ix session will now run NOVELL client
>with arbitrary ethernet cards!

Wordperfect 5.0 seems to lose the ability to interpret the keyboard after
displaying a directory (F5).  The graphics work fine, though.

Does anyone know the parameters to let dos under vp/ix talk to a network
card?  (I want to run as a client on an "old-style" starlan net and the
unix software only supports "new-style starlan).

Also, is there any real documentation on using the virtual terminals?
It seems pretty silly to have to start a dos session just to get access
to them.  I've been playing with a script that starts shells connected
to several of them.  It seems to work to just:
STTY=`stty -g`
(stty $STTY; ksh -i) </dev/vt01 >/dev/vt01 2>/dev/vt02 &
..repeat for several vtnn's
except that I end up connected to the last vt session that is created
instead of returning to the one where the script started.  After doing
this I can use the alt-prtscrn <Fn> to jump to session n and things
seem to work right although there is no utmp entry for the virtual
sessions.

Les Mikesell