changing mail directory

a.b.sherman andys at genesis.ATT.COM
Wed Oct 12 04:51:46 AEST 1988

In article <1162 at mrspoc.UUCP> itkin at mrspoc (Steven M. List) writes:
>In article <305 at mccc.UUCP> pjh at mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>> In article <390 at westmark.UUCP> dave at westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) writes:
>> > You will probably need to re-compile rmail to accomplish what you
>> > want.
>> That'll be hard without source code!
>
>Not if you use smail.  It lets you specify all sorts of things and, of course,
>being available on the NET includes source code.  It's reasonably easy to
>build and install and also provides a GOOD mailer with aliases and
>routing.

Ah, but what was the original question?  How can one change the mailbox
directory from /usr/mail to /foo/bar?  Smail does *NOT* handle local
mail delivery.  Local mail delivery is passed to a program usually
called /bin/lmail.  "What is /bin/lmail?" I hear you ask.
/bin/lmail is the original /bin/[r]mail that came with your system.
To change local delivery, you still need the source to the vanilla
/bin/mail that ships with your operating system.
--
andy sherman / at&t bell laboratories (medical diagnostic systems)
room 2e-108 / 185 monmouth pkwy / west long branch, nj 07764-1394