Making 3B2/310 faster

abell abell at polyslo.CalPoly.EDU
Thu Oct 20 06:06:12 AEST 1988

I hate to tell you this, but we have tried everything which you thought of
and came up with a machine with twice the disk capacity, twice the RAM
capacity and System V rel 3 to boot, but the machine was not any better, or
at least not for our needs, than it was prior to the upgrade.  We were doing
essentially the same thing you were.  We were teaching a course on Data Base
Management using ACCELL from UNIFY.  I'm afraid that you're only hope would
be to upgrade to a faster machine as we found that it is the CPU which is
the bottle neck.  You can verify this yourself by running the System Activity
reports (sar).  It will help you determine what your bottle neck is.  I believe
it is documented in the System Administration Utilities manual.  Good Luck!

| Alan Bell			| For smart mailers (e.g. internet):	|
| Cal Poly State Univ.		|	abell at polyslo.calpoly.edu	|
| San Luis Obispo, CA  93407	| For dumb mailers:			|
| (805) 756-7185		|	...ucbvax!voder!polyslo!abell	|