AT&T 6386 and ctrm <waiting for clear to send> problems

J Belot belot at pierce.UUCP
Sat Oct 15 00:05:22 AEST 1988

	I thought I saw some press on this a while back, but I ignored
	it.  Now, all of a sudden, I'm having problems.  Can
	anyone give some help?

	Problem:  I have an AT&T 6386 WGS running CTRM 2.1.1 connecting
	to unix systems via Datakit VCS.  When I run ctrm first thing
	in the morning, it hangs and says "waiting for clear to send".
	To make it work, I disconnect the line and reconnect it from the
	wall (or the back of the PC).  But, if I quit ctrm and start ctrm
	again, it comes up with no problem.  Also, if I reboot, ctrm works
	fine.  And most of the time, I can shut the machine off and
	restart and ctrm will work fine.  My problem is usually only the
	first time that I turn the machine on in the morning.  After
	breaking/making the rs232 connection, it works fine for the rest
	of the day.

	This is very bothersome, and also strange, since I had not had
	this problem for over 10 months, running the exact same
	configuration. I recall seeing something similar posted on the net
	before.  Perhaps if someone had similar problems and a good
	solution, they could help.

	Thanks.
				-joe belot
				att!pierce!belot