Info-3b2 Digest, Number 24

Info-3b2 Mailing List info-3b2 at lamc
Sun Oct 16 10:41:21 AEST 1988

                           Info-3b2 Digest, Number 24

                          Saturday, October 15th 1988

Today's Topics:

                              Re: Devtools/idtools
                                 3.1.1 -> 3.2.1
                                various 3B2 stuff

Date: Fri, 14 Oct 88 17:40:17 BST
Subject: Re: Devtools/idtools
From: hoptoad!quaduk!graham (Graham Glen)

> Fairly reliable rumors are that idtools will not format > 1024
> cylinders, so there is a limit of about 140MB on drives.  We're
> getting a Maxtor 1140 (1024cyl x 15 heads) tomorrow or so and
> will report our findings to this list.  We have formatted 72MB
> CDC drives with no difficulty.

If it uses the same formatter as DEVTOOLS then it wont cope with more than
1024 cylinders, it looks as if it does but it seems to wrap around and go
back over the first cylinders where the bad block table VTOC etc are.

We use 190Mb Maxtor's (1224 cylinders) and those are formatted up to use
1024 cylinders.

Our drives came with software to format and run them on a PC. Which set me
wondering whether I could format them (fully) on a PC, and then patch in a
VTOC for the 3B. I haven't so far attempted this because apart from the
time required (plus the loss of service) I have no idea whether the device
driver on the 3B itself can support more that 1024 cylinders.

Anyone at AT&T with access to the drivers care to comment?

Graham