FPU on the UNIX pc (was Re: All right! and 1.2M floppies; HwNote05)

John R. MacMillan jrmacmillan at lily.waterloo.edu
Mon Oct 24 05:21:22 AEST 1988

In article <528 at icus.islp.ny.us> lenny at icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
|I'm not to sure about this, but reading the UNIX System V User's Manual
|(vol. II) on cc(1), I saw this:
|
|	[ stuff about CENVIRON deleted ]
|
|I'm not sure if this is actually true, but if someone was able to
|interface the MC68881 math acc. unit to the UNIX PC, the software problems
|might not be too hard.  Of course without system source, you wouldn't
|be able to recompile anything in the system to utilitize the FPU.

No dice.  All it does is call a different compiler instead of
/lib/ccom:  /lib/ccom20 if you say the CPU is a 68020, /lib/ccom20.81
if you want the 68881.  And you can't use the 68881 unless you also
specify you want the '020.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't even have these other
compilers (not that I'm surprised).
--
John R. MacMillan			Space. The final frontier.
jrmacmillan at lily.waterloo.edu		Also a cool place to hang out