Those LEDs in the UNIXpc, one last time; (HwNote01)

Michael "Ford" Ditto ditto at cbmvax.UUCP
Wed Oct 12 04:01:46 AEST 1988

In article <357 at uncle.UUCP> jbm at uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) writes:
>As as an example, "led_on(LED0)" produces the code:
>	and.w	&65279,mcr_save
>	mov.w	mcr_save,4849664
>Note that since there is no locking here, an interrupt routine that uses the
>MCR could run between these two instructions.

But also note that this is not a problem if the interrupt routines only
*write* to the mcr and mcr_save (which should be the case) because
mcr_save is updated first.  The only potential problem is if an interrupt
routine *reads* mcr_save assuming that the hardware is in the same
state.  I don't know of any need to read mcr_save, so I doubt that this
is ever done.
--
					-=] Ford [=-

"The number of Unix installations	(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
has grown to 10, with more expected."	ford at kenobi.cts.com
- The Unix Programmer's Manual,		...!sdcsvax!crash!elgar!ford
  2nd Edition, June, 1972.		ditto at cbmvax.commodore.com