IDT SCSI (Re: I have a second hard drive on my UNIXpc; HwNote03)

Michael "Ford" Ditto ditto at cbmvax.UUCP
Wed Oct 12 09:29:50 AEST 1988

In article <359 at uncle.UUCP> jbm at uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) writes:
>/mnt on /dev/fp012 read/write on Mon Oct 10 20:03:21 1988
>That bit in MCR2 is indeed a select line for the second hard disk.

Good work with the hardware hack, John!

>panic: gfpwrite F_HD_DMA set

Was this with the pal in or out?   No, I haven't ever seen this error.

>the really important question: Since I came up with this patch on my own, using
>widely available information, do I have the right to do whatever I want with it?

I'd certainly say so!  (Unless CT can somehow prove that you used
privileged proprietary information, in which case your posting is a big
no-no, because you gave away the info to the world.)  I'd say it's
practically spelled out in the .h files and schematics anyway; it's
just that nobody ever *knew* it would really work.

>What will all this do to the future market for the overpriced $350.00 SCSI
>board from IDT?

Although I like the drive select hack, and I will investigate the idea,
it doesn't decrease my craving for SCSI at all.  And I'd gladly pay more
than $350 for the SCSI board if it really existed and had software
support for some things I want to use it for.
--
					-=] Ford [=-

"The number of Unix installations	(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
has grown to 10, with more expected."	ford at kenobi.cts.com
- The Unix Programmer's Manual,		...!sdcsvax!crash!elgar!ford
  2nd Edition, June, 1972.		ditto at cbmvax.commodore.com