Making 3B2/310 faster

Randy_Davis rjd at occrsh.ATT.COM
Mon Oct 24 23:51:28 AEST 1988

In article <10774 at netsys.COM> len at netsys.COM (Len Rose) writes:

> I think it's time for a migration kit from 3B2/400's to 3B2/500 or
> something of that order?  [rest deleted - rjd]
>
> Len

  An upgrade from a model 400 to a model 500 would require the replacement of
the motherboard (ED4C637 to 518A or 518B), power supply (different connectors,
higher power capacity, different power on/power off circuits), hard disk
(ST506 to ESDI), apparatus mounting (what the backplane is mounted to),
memory cards (191B, 191D, 192B, etc. to 523A, 523B, etc.), the SCSI Bridge
controller (the 400 doesn't have it), and assorted hardware such as the disk
mounting brackets, etc.  In other words, almost everything.  In fact, the only
common parts to the two units are the floppy drive, the outer chassis, the
battery, assorted small hardware parts, and any option cards starting with 195-.

  Nice upgrade....  Be easier and probably cheaper to just buy the 500 and sell
the 400.

Randy Davis					UUCP: ...(att!)ocrjd!randy
						      ...(att!)occrsh!rjd