Editing binaries

Ed Horch ebh at argon.UUCP
Sun Oct 16 01:09:58 AEST 1988

In article <4596 at mtgzz.att.com> avr at mtgzz.att.com (a.v.reed) writes:
>I edit binary files with vi all the time. Just read them in with
>:r !od -c file
>and write them out, after editing, with
>:w !rod -c >file
>which is a piece of cake.

That's real neat.  What if you don't *have* "rod"?  That's sort of like
telling someone trying to get a Hayes modem to work with an old uucp to
use HDB.  I try to have all the tools my users want on this system,
but I don't have everything, and some things I can't get at all.
I'm still looking for a uucp-able Kermit 4E, and wishing for the newer
grading features in HDB, for example.

>Some of us use tools, you know.

As most of us would like to.  So don't flame someone for not using
something they may not have or even be able to get, ok?

-Ed