MORE 6386 UUCP WOES ...

Larry Campbell campbell at redsox.UUCP
Sun Oct 23 13:35:34 AEST 1988

In article <1988Oct21.033839.1412 at ixpierre.uucp> woods at ixpierre.UUCP (Greg A. Woods) writes:
}
}Does anyone besides Microport and Sun support simple bi-directional
}port usage by having a device driver which will prevent a getty's open
}on the modem control device from completing whenever the no wait
}device is open?  Does anyone have a version of asy(7) for 386/ix that
}does this?  Why does AT&T seem to instist on keeping the uugetty
}hack?  I see no reason for it given a fully functional modem that
}adheres to the RS-232 spec. and an intelligent device driver.

VenturCom provided this feature in VENIX/86, a V7-based UNIX port
for 8086 machines.  I don't know if their current SV port supports
this, but I doubt it, since it's based on 386/ix.

The lack of this simple feature is INCREDIBLY ANNOYING, guys.  Are you
listening, AT&T (and Interactive and SCO and Altos and DEC and...)?
--
Larry Campbell                          The Boston Software Works, Inc.
campbell at bsw.com                        120 Fulton Street