All right! and 1.2M floppies; HwNote05

Darren Friedlein darren at bacchus.UUCP
Sun Oct 23 00:58:37 AEST 1988

In article <5748 at juniper.uucp> gbh at juniper.UUCP (Geoffrey B Hoese) writes:
>In article <281 at bagend.UUCP> jan at bagend.UUCP (Jan Isley) writes:
>>[ discussion of substituting 3.5 inch drive for 5.25 ,
>>and how to format for 800 sectors ]
>
>	I've tried this, thinking it would work, but
>no luck. iv reports an i/o error, and a message stating
>that "...Drive door open or no disk in drive..." is sent
>to /dev/error. The drive select light does come on, though,
>and the motor spins, also the head retracts to trk. 0 when
>iv starts. This doesn't work when the drive select jumper
>is set to 1, so I assume the machine is looking for d0.
>--
>
>Geoffrey Hoese		gbh at juniper.UUCP
>2105 Arpdale		{allegra,ctvax,im4u}!ut-sally!ut-emx!juniper!gbh
>Austin, TX 78704	(512) 445-4786  (sometimes voice, sometimes data)

It sounds like pin 34 on that drive has been disconnected.  There's a
jumper on some drives (I think TEAC labels it XT) that must be connected
for the drives to work on the UNIXpc (or a PC/XT).  If you can't find the
appropriate jumper and you have a multimeter, set it for resistance,
place one lead on pin 34 (this is on the card-edge connector - back of
the drive), and test the jumper pins until you find one with no resistance.
Jumper this one.  If there are three pins, move the jumper to connect
the middle pin to the one connected to pin 34.

If you're still having problems after this, let me know.

-darren
         ____
        /    \
       |                                 Rt 4, Box 416, Durham, NC 27703
  _____|_____     Darren G. Friedlein      data (bacchus) : 919/596-7746
 /     |     \                                      voice : 919/596-9492
 \____/    __/   {mcnc|icus|ditka|ethos|gladys|bakerst}!bacchus!darren