Info-3b2 Digest, Number 26

Don Ferencz ferencz at cwsys3..CWRU.Edu
Fri Oct 21 06:19:32 AEST 1988

In article <340 at mccc.UUCP> pjh at mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:

>I've run into the problem that rn won't work over a STARlan network
>also.  I can invoke it and it shows the first screen, but then it
>freezes.  Anyone have a clue or a fix?  Vnews and readnews don't seem to
>have this problems.

Yep, me too.  I have a few UNIX PC's running SysV 3.5 connected to
a STARLAN network to a 3B2/310.  I can narrow down the problem: the
"rn" program chokes once it puts the UNIX PC in "cbreak" (non-buffered
input) mode.  I think it is a problem with the STARLAN driver at the
UNIX PC end.  The way I solve this is, once logged into the 3B2 with
the Phone Manager and Terminal Emulator is perform an "rlogin"
over our network (TCP/IP Ethernet).  "rn" can then handle "cbreak"
to what is now an Ethernet connection, connected to a STARLAN
connection.  (I found this, totally by luck).

Our other network programs (telnet, ftp, etc.) have the same problem,
but luckily "rlogin" back to the same host is a "quick" fix.

| Don Ferencz                       |  "And in the end/                   |
| ferencz at cwsys3.cwru.EDU           |   The love you take/                |
| Department of Systems Engineering |   Is equal to the love you make."   |
| Case Western Reserve University   |       -- The Beatles                |