MORE 6386 UUCP WOES ...

Dave Berk daveb at argon.UUCP
Sat Oct 1 02:34:32 AEST 1988

I previously posted:

> When logging in remotely to my 6386, I noticed if I drop the
> line when I am in "vi" , vi does not die and my modem gets hung.
> The modem is a Hayes Compatible.  If I log off the right way (^d)
> the line is dropped.

I noticed a few other items:

1.  When the line is lost the CD (Carrier Detect) light and the
    OH (Off Hook) light goes off.  This leads me to believe that
	the modem is fully aware that the line has dropped.
2.  The RD (Read Data) and SD (Send Data) lights are still flashing
    even after the line is lost.  It seems that the tty driver is still
    having some sort of conversation with the modem.

I called the AT&T Hotline and some so-called engineer trying to insult
my intelligence was attempting to tell me that this was a feature not
a bug and this behavior was normal.  Finally, after being persistent and
talking with a knowledgeable person I was told that this was a known
problem and that it may or may be not be fixed in the future.  I was also told
that this BUG may or may not be fixed in Release 5.3.2 (which I could
obtain through a special upgrade for $360) but no one could tell me for sure.

Can anyone out there shed any light on this problem ?

Why is this a problem that may or may not be fixed ?

Is it just me or isn't this a fundamental problem with the tty driver ?

How can I ever use it remotely without being paranoid that if the line
drops I can't log back in unless I physically am there to kill the
processes associated with the port and reset the modem ?

Is it worth my while to upgrade to 5.3.2 ?

What fixes are actually in 5.3.2 ?

Thanx;

David Berk