changing mail directory

Patrick Barron pdb at sei.cmu.edu
Wed Oct 12 12:50:58 AEST 1988

In article <484 at genesis.ATT.COM> andys at shlepper.ATT.COM (a.b.sherman) writes:
>To change local delivery, you still need the source to the vanilla
>/bin/mail that ships with your operating system.

Or, you could always use my favorite solution - just crank up emacs
(or whatever your favorite editor is, but not ed or ex/edit/vi, 'cause
they can't do this), and change it in the binary.  Just as long as
the string you're changing is of equal or greater length than what you're
changing it to, you'll be fine.  Be careful not to change the total size
of the file.  Sort of grody, but it works.

--Pat.