Odd 'strip' behaviour

Gertjan van Oosten oosten at dutinfd.UUCP
Tue Oct 11 23:53:10 AEST 1988

Guess what?               (Summer's arrived, I feel the world's on my side ..
                                - "Hey Manhattan", Prefab Sprout)

No, seriously: I discovered a MAJOR BUG (and I mean BIG) in the version of
'strip' I have on my 3B1. Here follows a script:

% cat hello.c
main()
{
    extern void exit();

    exit(puts("Hello world!"));
    /* NOTREACHED */
}
% cc -o hello hello.c
% ./hello
Hello world!
% chmod -w hello
% ls -l hello
-r-xr-xr-x  1 gertjan users      9701 Oct 11 15:09 hello
% strip hello
strip:  hello:  cannot write, cannot strip
% ls -l hello
hello not found
%

How's that for breakfast?
Is it just my version of 'strip' or does everyone's 3B1 come shipped with
this file-eater?
A quick check on three other machines (a Microdutch running System V
Release 2 X/OPEN, a VAX running 4.3 BSD and a PDP-11/73 running ULTRIX-11)
shows that the problem is probably specific to my/the(*) 3B1-strip.
(*) which one is appropriate

Well, have fun...

                   G.J. van Oosten.

" When the revolution comes, I will be late
  and I will be shot, as a traitor. " - The Sugar Cubes