Exception stack frames (Re: Could a 68881; HwNote07)

Michael "Ford" Ditto ditto at cbmvax.UUCP
Thu Oct 27 09:32:55 AEST 1988

In article <3731 at rphroy.UUCP> tkacik at rphroy.UUCP (Tom Tkacik) writes:
[ about replacing the 68010 with an 020 ]

> [ ... ]  The size of the saved state of a 68020 and 68881
>is much larger than that for the 68010.  Each time there is a context switch
>the OS thinks it is putting away info for the 68010.

The size doesn't matter, since the exception frame is never moved from
where it sits on the per-process supervisor stack; only the register
set is saved in the user area.  What is important, though, is the handling
of the new frame types.  This essentially means adding a few new cases
to the bus-error trap handler.

>  Perhaps
>the hooks are all there, only waiting to be found.  Any ideas about where
>to start looking?

I'm looking, I'll let you know what I find.
--
					-=] Ford [=-

"The number of Unix installations	(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
has grown to 10, with more expected."	ford at kenobi.cts.com
- The Unix Programmer's Manual,		...!sdcsvax!crash!elgar!ford
  2nd Edition, June, 1972.		ditto at cbmvax.commodore.com