unix pc mouse help?

Robert Morris ram at umb.umb.edu
Mon Oct 10 06:06:49 AEST 1988

Is there any way to get relative mouse tracking on a unix pc? The only
mouse interface I can see is that described in window(7) which reports
the position of the mouse relative to the window, whereas I want
simple report of motion. In particular, the mouse has some silly notion
that mice and screens are intimately related, and stops reporting if
the mouse cursor is at the screen edge. In fact, I want to position my
own cursor images in ways not related to where the system thinks the
mouse last was, so I want a complete decoupling of screen and mouse.

Also, I would prefer an interrupt driven mouse with reports not
delivered to the input stream. The scheme in window(7) is very
system-call intensive and seems to be heavily tied to the pc's window
system.

Bob Morris
ram at typo.umb.edu
...harvard!umb!typo!ram