Status of IDT?

Paul Palacios paul at elgar.UUCP
Wed Oct 12 07:55:58 AEST 1988

In article <961 at naucse.UUCP> sbw at naucse.UUCP (Steve Wampler) writes:
>What is the status of the 3b1 SCSI card previously announced by IDT?
>It seems to me that the last release date I saw was the end of
>September.

Yup, first August, then September, and then late October, now...

I called IDT this morning (Tues Oct 11) and spoke with a man by the
name of Mike Stein (hope I spelled that correctly) that works closely
with Matt Marshall (a man you are probably already familiar with, if
you've spoken to IDT regarding this issue).  He basically said that a
current video project for the mac had taken presidence, causing the
development on the 3b1 SCSI card to slow down.  This I could have
lived with, but he also went on to say that sometime in the next
couple of weeks that there will be some sort of meeting that a
corporate decision will be made of whether or not to "shelf" the 3b1
SCSI project until other products (ie. for the mac -- due to a larger
market) are finished.

When I asked Mr. Stein if the decision was not to "shelf" the
product, is there another estimated release date or if he had any idea
of such a date, he basically said that there was none.

There's one thing I'd like to ask to any other developers out there:

	Does anyone of you see the market here for such products as
	this SCSI card, and if you do, wouldn't you like to cash in on

>If it's out, does anyone know what tape and disk drives work with it?
>--

I'm not aware of what was projected to be supported, but it might not
matter if it never gets released.  Sorry.

--
                <This space was left blank intentionally>