Rumors...

Rich Strebendt res at ihlpb.ATT.COM
Wed Oct 26 07:37:31 AEST 1988

In article <410 at occrsh.ATT.COM>, rjd at occrsh.ATT.COM (Randy_Davis) writes:
| In article <373 at uncle.UUCP> jbm at uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) writes:
| :Where do journalists get this stuff?
| :
| :[What follows is reproduced without permission from "Computer Design"]
| :
| :In the October 15 issue, page 9, the News Briefs section.
| :--------------------------------------
| :Sparc wins and loses
| :[first paragraph omitted]
| [all but last sentance omitted - rjd]
| :tionship with Motorola. AT&T uses
| :Motorola's 68000 family of process-
| :sors in its 3B line of minicomputers.
| :[rest omitted]
| :--------------------------------------
| :
| :That last sentance is interesting. Does that mean I really have a minicomputer?
| :I think they got the tense of the "uses" wrong. Oh no, better call Convergent
| :and tell them to make more UNIXpcs :)
|
|   The only AT&T "minicomputers" I know of are the 3B family.  As John says,
| the PCs are considered "microcomputers" (do the PCs use 68000 chips?).  The
| 3B family includes the 3B2, 3B5, 3B15, 3B4000, 3B20 Simplex, and 3B20 Duplex.
| I know for sure that all the 3B2, 3B15, and 3B4000 computers use the AT&T -
| designed and manufactured full 32-bit microprocessor.

That is true for the Central Control (CC) for each of those machines.
The 3B5/3B15/3B4000 line of computers also uses microprocessor-based
intelligent peripheral controllers.  The Intelligent Disk File
Controller (IDFC) board does use a 68000 as its engine.  Other
intelligent boards (eg: ITC, ATC, IOA), use the WE32000 series of
microprocessors (32000, 32100, 32200).

				Rich Strebendt
				...!att!ihlpb!res