ATE and even parity

Douglas R. East dre at lll-lcc.llnl.gov
Wed Oct 12 22:53:47 AEST 1988

Hello, hope someone can me with a "little" problem.  I need to talk to
an IBM VM/CMS system which seems to be set up in a more or less standard
way to handle dialins.  The specs are: even parity, 7 data bits, xon/xoff,
full duplex, 1200 baud, stop bits=1.  I created a new profile with these
specifications for the ATE on the 3b1 but it is still acting as though no
parity is being used--characters with an odd number of 1's  (e.g., 'v', '1',
etc) are ignored but those with an even number are echoed back...  Just for
fun I tried using odd parity and that did what I would expect--nothing at
all was accepted by the host.

I've tried all sorts of combinations of the options through the 3b1 profile
but the only thing that even comes close is the setup: 1200 baud, even parity,
send parity=yes, check parity=yes, character size=7, stop bits=1 etc.
This setup acts EXACTLY like a no parity setup with character size=8.

Is there a bug in the 3b1 driver; i.e., is even parity being calculated?
Has someone encountered this before?  Any suggestings?  Would using an
external modem work?

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

--
Doug East						(612) 537-2294