Windows/286 2.1 on a Bernoulli

Barrett Kreiner pervect at bsu-cs.UUCP
Fri Oct 14 03:31:08 AEST 1988

In article <1988Oct12.230551.11667 at cs.rochester.edu>, ciaraldi at cs.rochester.edu (Mike Ciaraldi) writes:
> I am trying to help a friend install Microsoft Windows/286
> version 2.1 on an AT&T 6300 Plus (AT-compatible)
> with a 20 megabyte Bernoulli Box.  He currently
> has Windows 2.0 running.
>
> When we try to install, the INSTALL program tells us that
> it can only install onto a hard disk, we don't have one,
> and so it is quitting.  Of course, the Bernoulli is supposed
> to act like a hard disk once its driver is loaded (which it is).
>

> Mike Ciaraldi
> University of Rochester
> uucp:  ...rutgers!rochester!ciaraldi
> ARPA:  ciaraldi at cs.rochester.edu

Mike, a possible cause for your problem..
We have Bernoulies (bernolii?) in our lab and We've had our share of problems.
Windows may be using the "non-removable media" function to ID a drive as a
hard disk.  Since a B-Box is a removable media AND the device driver will ID
it AS removable.. MS Windows will *Naturally* think that it's not a hard disk
it's working with.  as for the installation.. try editing the installer
script.. It's not that hard to figure out (MS made it easy) and see what you
can do..

WE have NOT installed 2.x on a bernoulli, but we HAVE installed a 1.x on one.
no MAJOR probs..

Good luck..
| Barrett Kreiner    UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!pervect | :-] |
| Technical Manager, Fine Arts Computer Lab|--------------------------|-----|
| Ball State University. Muncie, Indiana   |This space left blank on purpose|
| How am I computing?  Let my parents know at ddsw1!kreiner  (HI ma & dad)  |
| Disclamer: "I don't know them!  I'm a student, nobody listens to ME!"     |