Where does keyfix come from? (and nkbd's CAPS LED)

Michael "Ford" Ditto ditto at cbmvax.UUCP
Tue Oct 18 07:28:08 AEST 1988

In article <9598 at umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU> randy at umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Randy Orrison) writes:
>I would like to know where I can get the keyfix program from?

I wrote it, and I'll send the source & doc to anyone who asks.

>Oh, on the same subject -  Ford: in the source for nkbd you mention a
>future version which will be completely configurable.  How's this
>project coming?

Slowly.  The original version was, of course, encouraged by the bogosity
of the standard driver; now that it's usable, some of the incentive to
improve it is gone.  However, since I have to write a configurable
keyboard driver for another Unix system anyway, I will probably use some
of the same techniques in the next versoin of nkbd (nnkbd?).  Who knows,
it might even read Amiga keymap files!

>  (would you like a
>suggestion?  Could the CAPS-LOCK key (labelled Ctrl - silly AT&T)
>toggle the LED in the Ctrl key (labelled Caps Lock - more silliness on
>the part of AT&T)?  It's nice to have some indication...)

Aha!  Another case of the missing CAPSLOCK LED ... hmm.  I'm really stuck
on that one; it always worked fine on kenobi, and the LED code is IDENTICAL
to the AT&T CAPCTRL driver's.  Someone (can't remember who) said he got his
to work by putting the output calls in a loop:

	change
		ldkout(ldcaplock+CAPLED);
		while (!ldkout(ldcaplock+CAPLED))
		    ;

Try it and see if it helps, but I don't recommend putting in that
change unless it's really necessary... it halts the system until the
kbd sio is ready, and I don't personally guarantee that will happen,
although at least one person had it work fine for him.
--
					-=] Ford [=-

"The number of Unix installations	(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
has grown to 10, with more expected."	ford at kenobi.cts.com
- The Unix Programmer's Manual,		...!sdcsvax!crash!elgar!ford
  2nd Edition, June, 1972.		ditto at cbmvax.commodore.com