uucico hangs on the AT&T 6386

Dennis S. Breckenridge root at nebulus.UUCP
Thu Apr 27 13:42:40 AEST 1989

In article <138 at mslanpar>, pat at mslanpar (Pat R. Calhoun) writes:
> In article <1055 at koko.CSUStan.EDU>, robert at CSUStan.EDU (Robert Zeff) writes:
> > I have an AT&T 6386 which hangs in uucico when the call is aborted.
> > The uucico process cannot be killed, even from root.  I also have had cu
> > hang this way.  AT&T has not offered any useful advice.  Seems to me that
> > root should be able to kill any process.  We're using a Telebit Plus.
> > Anyone else having this problem or have a solution?
> > (Ant tips on how to handshake with the Telebit would be appreciated, also)
>
> If you happen to have the driver source, you will more than likely find
> that the priority to sleep is less than PZERO. This means that a signal
> will not kill (or wakeup) the process. This is the reason why the process
> is unkillable. By exec'ing a ps(1) - 'laef', you will find the process'
> priority will be <26, this means if that process is hung, you can kill
> it by executing an init 0 (probably not what you want:-).
>
> I need more information regarding your problem. First, are you using the
> standard serial port?? or are you adding a multi-port board (such as
> CTC's GEMINI-10)?? I also need to know what BIOS PROM version is in
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 Is this the IPC-802 sold by AT&T I don't think so.

> your system(the 386 obviously:-). Right now I'm making the assumption
> that you are using ATT SYS V, and not XENIX, so you might want to
> specify you OS!!

Pat writes about driver source. The rest of us do not have access to the
source of the drivers but I do know that AT&T does support the "final"
release of a binary for the ports card. The release is 2.1 and it fixed
a whole bunch of bugs with the IPC-802.
 Getting a telebit to talk to ANY port (IPC or integral) on the 6386
 requires some non-standard cabling. What I had to do was take pin-6 from
 the TB+ and move it to pin 8 on the port and then I programmed the TB+
 to drop that signal on a disconnect. I tried various settings on the TB+
 to get carrier to present itself on dial and drop on disconnect but I did
 not have much success. Making the change in hardware eliminated most of the
 problems I had.
I have included my settups for the Telebit modem here. Try it and let me know
if it works for you (after you move DSR to DCD)

ERROR
at&n
E1 F1 M1 Q6 T V1 X1     Version BA4.00
S00=001 S01=000 S02=043 S03=013 S04=010 S05=008 S06=002 S07=060 S08=002 S09=006
S10=007 S11=070 S12=050
S45=000 S47=004 S48=000 S49=000
S50=000 S51=005 S52=002 S53=004 S54=003 S55=000 S56=017 S57=019 S58=002 S59=000
S60=000 S61=045 S62=003 S63=001 S64=000 S65=000 S66=001 S67=000 S68=255
S90=000 S91=000 S92=000 S95=002
S100=000 S101=000 S102=000 S104=000
S110=001 S111=030 S112=001
S121=000

This has been tested on the integral serial port and the IPC-802 without
hangups. What Pat failed to say was the driver was sleeping at a PZERO < 25
because the driver was hung trying to close the port without the hardware
signaling to allow the close to complete. (TCSETAW hangs if DCD is not lit)
This causes both cu(1) and uucico(1) to hang on a close.
"A mind is a terrible thing to       MAIL:   Dennis S. Breckenridge
waste!"                                      206 Poyntz Ave
					     North York, Ontario M2N1J6
					     (416) 733-1696
UUCP: uunet!attcan!nebulus!dennis    ICBM:   79 28 05 W / 43 45 01 N
					     50 megatons should do!