TCP for the unix-pc

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Tue Apr 11 04:08:28 AEST 1989

In article <1892 at umbc3.UMBC.EDU> alex at wolf.umbc.edu.UUCP (Alex Crain) writes:

>	1) a bi-directional bus network, or some kind of fault-tolerant ring
>	that can tell when a host goes down. No star networks. I only want to
>	have to deal with one port per machine, and I want to be able to splice
>	in devices.

I don't know if you can still get the 1Mbit starlan boards for the 7300
or not, but they would work nicely.  You can daisy-chain up to 10
units without using a hub.  The main problem with them is that the
available software is for URP (AT&T proprietary) protocol while the
other AT&T machines are changing to OSI protocols so you can't mix
7300's and 6386's on the same net.  Also, since you can't get SysVr3
you can't run RFS, but if you want to roll your own software it might
work out.

Les Mikesell