3b1 40meg disk woes: Help

Bill Carpenter wjc at ho5cad.ATT.COM
Thu Apr 27 17:56:03 AEST 1989

In article <586 at cbnewsc.ATT.COM> danl at cbnewsc.ATT.COM (daniel.r.levy) writes:

>otherwise, though it does sound like a good idea.  When I unpacked the system
>software, I could almost swear that in there was a loose sheet stating that
>rebooting the diagnostic disk to park the heads was not necessary on the 3B1,
>despite the message.  However, looking through my manuals, I can't locate it

A lot of 7300's shipped with drives that didn't autopark the heads
when powered off.  Thus the message during shutdown about parking
them.  (I defer to others about whether this is needed for shutdowns
when the machine won't be moved.  Couldn't hurt.)

Most (maybe all?) 3b1's shipped with drives that did autopark the
heads on powerdown.  That's why it's not necessary to do it via the
diagnostics disk.  This is a feature of the drive, not the machine.
If you're shopping for a drive, this is definitely a feature you want.
(If your drive makes that big clunk when you hit the power switch,
that's the autopark happening.)
   Bill Carpenter         att!ho5cad!wjc  or  attmail!bill