DISK CRASH -- floppy boot

Tanya Katz tanya at adds.newyork.NCR.COM
Sat Apr 22 04:29:05 AEST 1989

In article <8904181249.AA22934 at zorch.UU.NET> scott at zorch.UU.NET (Scott Hazen Mueller) writes: (for David Melman)

>The question:
>
>How can the system allow the removal of the boot floppy (and stay up)
>so the readable files off the hard disk can be backed up to the floppy
>drive?

In <513 at uncle.UUCP> (John B. Milton) replied:

>Well, looks like you've got quite a problem. My suggestion would be to get the
>hard disk patched up to the point that you can get it mounted again. When you
>say that it won't boot, that seems strange. Try running fsck -y /dev/fp002,

I've often wondered the same thing myself...  You have to do regular backups!!

I noticed early on that a power outage caused me to enter into the
check-boot-check loop, and I had to go the floppy boot route.
The first time I managed to blow away my rc file and had to reload all.
But when it happened again, I was a bit more rational and managed to
comment out the fsck in the rc file and boot up without the fsck.

I made a floppy filesystem that has fsck on it, and it is not write
protected, so I could use vi.  I keep several of these spare file systems
handy (one has fsdb) for real heavy duty emergencies.

After booting with the floppy and exiting to the shell, I type in
mount <Return>
and see what is mounted & where the mount point is.  Then
umount /dev/fp002 and use fsck.  I don't use the -y option though.
This prevents the removal of files that have data in them.  I do make
note of the inode & search for the file names using ncheck or find -inum.

Most of the time the problem has been very minor and easily repairable
by fsck.  You can even rescue your files from lost+found, if you can
identify them.

I suppose I should invest in a ups, but until I do, this is my recovery
method.

	Tanya

    ###   ######  ######   #####       Tanya Katz       (516) 231-5400 x430
  #     # #     # #     #  #####       ...uunet!ncrlnk!adds!tanya
  ####### #     # #     #       #      tanya.katz at adds.newyork.ncr.com

  Applied Digital Data Systems, Inc.   100 Marcus Blvd., Hauppauge, NY 11788