Daylight Savings Time

J.L.WOOD jlw at lznv.ATT.COM
Mon Apr 3 11:57:12 AEST 1989

In article <143 at dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov>, ken at inxt.uucp (Kenneth E. Stailey) writes:
> As far as I understand it the UNIX(tm) PC is supposed to switch to daylight
> savings time automatically.  I have NEVER seen it work right on time and
> would like to know what's happening/how to fix it.
>
> Currently I'm just munging /etc/TZ to simulate the effects of being in EDT.

It used to work for me in the past and there is one reason
why it might not have worked for you in the past and another
reason why it isn't going to work again unless you implement
the patch that was posted last week.

(1) In order to have the time zone change take place when the
    UNIX-PC's algorithm says to change, you must have the machine
    powered on and booted up at the time the change takes place -
    ie at 2:00 am on the third Sunday morning  in April.  I leave
    both my home and office UNIX-PCs running al the time.

(2) The Gov't in its infinite wisdom has changed the commencement
    of DST to the first Sunday Morning in April.  I doubt that there
    would be an official upgrade to fix this problem.  I've taken to
    just changing the time and then changing it back again two weeks
    later.

Joe Wood
jlw at lznv.ATT.COM