FOR SALE: *TWO* UNIX PC VOICE POWER boards

Richard Stevens stevens at hsi.UUCP
Tue Apr 25 19:56:14 AEST 1989

In article <680 at icus.islp.ny.us>, lenny at icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
> ** FOR SALE ** ** FOR SALE ** ** FOR SALE ** ** FOR SALE ** ** FOR SALE **
>
>       Two (2) VOICE POWER boards for the UNIX PC 3B1/7300 computer

Well, we just got a new phone system at work a few weeks ago - an AT&T
System 25.  Pretty nice system, especially compared to the old Horizon
system we had earlier.  Guess what came with the system - a 3b1 !!
2 Mb memory and 67 Mb disk.  I was asking the installers exactly
what the 3b1 is used for (we can change extension numbers and the like
through an operator's menu using it) but they weren't too sure.  It does
have the Voice Power hardware, and I'd guess from Lenny's posting that
it is used for our voice mail system.  I think the 3b1 also does the
call accounting statistics.

I rumaged through the diskettes that came with it, but not even the phone
company had newer O.S. software.  And, of course, if didn't handle the
daylight conversion 3 weeks ago, so we had to change it by hand, to get the
right time stamp on the voice mail messages.  I knew there was a Unix system
in there somewhere, when you hear the voice say "login incorrect" when you
enter the wrong password for your voice mail box.

Does anyone have any references to additional information on how the
Voice Power system works ?  I'd guess there must have been papers published
somewhere on it ?  Did AT&T design the Voice Power hardware themselves
for the 3b1 ?  Is the system on the 6386 similar ?  It's nice to know a
phone company is using 3b1's for customer applications - maybe that's why
there's still some limited support for the system.

	Richard Stevens
	Health Systems International, New Haven, CT
	   stevens at hsi.com
           ... { uunet | yale } ! hsi ! stevens