find: bad status-- /u/tu

Lloyd Kremer kremer at cs.odu.edu
Sat Apr 1 15:31:00 AEST 1989

In article <4341 at ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM> wescott at ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Mike Wescott) writes:

>Try this in /u and some other directories:
>	ls -id . */..
>Each time you should get the same inode number for each directory.  Any
>mismatch causes find to take the wrong path in trying to get back to where
>it started from.
>You can use /etc/link and /etc/unlink to fix.

Yes, and after unlinking and linking the relevant directories, and everything
appears to be correct in the 'ls -id' tests, it would be very wise to unmount
and 'fsck -y -D' the affected filesystem.  Your repairs may be incomplete,
or the filesystem may have other problems of which you are not (yet) aware.
It may avoid some nasty surprises in the future.

Also, is there some correlation between power supply replacement and
filesystem corruption?  I sync there might be.  :-)

					Lloyd Kremer
					{uunet,sun,...}!xanth!kremer