What's this "sys" window nonsense?

Gil Kloepfer Jr. gil at limbic.UUCP
Fri Apr 21 15:07:35 AEST 1989

In article <676 at icus.islp.ny.us> lenny at icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>Make sure the devices look like this (particularly the major minor numbers)...
>
>   0 crw-rw-rw-  3 root    sys       7,  0 Jan  1  1970 /dev/syscon
>   0 crw-rw-rw-  3 root    sys       7,  0 Jan  1  1970 /dev/systty
>   0 crw-rw-rw-  3 root    sys       7,  0 Jan  1  1970 /dev/window
>Lenny Tropiano             ICUS Software Systems         [w] +1 (516) 582-5525

Before setting the major number of your window devices to "7", make sure
that it really is major number 7.  Some of you who have been playing with
device drivers or some such stuff might have different major numbers.  The
key thing is to be consistent.

The major number of /dev/window will more than likely be alright with the
bug Lenny describes.  The problem is that /dev/syscon and /dev/systty
sometimes get unlinked or linked in some funny way.  The remedy is to
assure that they're linked as shown and that the minor number is zero upon
system boot.

-----