6386 WGS extra RAM/Windows 386

Charles R. Ward msewil at ecsvax.UUCP
Mon Apr 3 09:09:16 AEST 1989

I own an AT&T 6386 WGS and would like to add 1 or 2 Meg more of RAM
to the system.  The memory card currently in the computer uses 256K
SIMMS (120ns).  None of the documentation that came with the computer
mentions how to install the RAM and set the DIP switches for a total
of 3 or 4 Meg.  Any help out there?  Also, when I turn on the computer
I frequently have to press the reset button to get it to boot properly.
Otherwise, the screen is just garbage and the hard disk is never
accessed.  The system consists of a 1.2M floppy (AT&T's), a 1.44M
Mitsubishi floppy, a 40M Seagate FH HD w/WD HD controller, and a
Paradise Pro VGA card w/Princeton Ultrasync.  Has anyone else experienced
this problem?  Finally, under Windows/386, floppy access is VERY slow.
I'm using the floppy controller on the mother board.  Is there a way to
defeat the on-board floppy controller and use one from a dual HD/FD
controller like the WD?