Need advice/help on upgrading to 3.51

Robert J. Granvin rjg at sialis.mn.org
Sat Apr 15 15:15:50 AEST 1989

So I posted instead... :-)

>Compatibility Caveats: I'm running a DOS-73, EIA/RAM (w/1.5Mb),
>  VDI_Libs, and a few other neato things.  Is the object code (and
>  associated libraries) portable from 3.0 -> 3.51?

To the best of my knowledge.  Does anyone claim differently?

>  And, I'm using the OBM (kinda have to).

I'm sorry.  :-)

>3.5 vs 3.51:  Is there a reason to take one over the other?  Is
>  the 'c' fixdisk really going to happen?

It's been eons since I ran 3.5, but I recall general giddyness when
upgrading to 3.51 (which I was supposed to get anyways).  Our
system(s) at work had 3.0, but we never installed them (can't tell you
why).  The 3.5/3.51 manuals appear to be much better than the 3.0
manuals.

The 'c' fixdisk is really Fixdisk 2.0.  Yes, it is forthcoming, no
it's not ready yet (And I understand why... :-)

>executables:  I have RM-Cobol (from AT&T), and am wondering if it will
>  work ok under 3.5+.  Same goes for Smart System, Franz Lisp and any
>  other executables you can think of.

I've seen all these things run under 3.51.  I can't imagine that
anything compiled under 3.0 would be binary-incompatible with 3.51.
You may get a better binary or better performance by recompiling, but
everything should still work.  (Does this hold true if it's using
shared libraries?)

--
       Robert J. Granvin
   National Computer Systems     "Looks like the poor devil died in his sleep."