background process interrupt

Tanya Katz tanya at adds.newyork.NCR.COM
Tue Apr 4 05:20:05 AEST 1989

The problem stated in: article <17168 at cisunx.UUCP> by (James C. Benz)
reminded me of a problem I noticed with ksh on my 3b1.

>I have been trying to write a shell script that invokes a home-brew demon
>process for an application I've been working on.  On other Unix systems
>I've worked on, (3B2) the nohup command allows you to log out of the
>current shell level without killing the nohuped process.  My shell script
>on the UNIXPC has a line that goes something like this:
>
>nohup demon options 1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null&

If I put a program in the background, and do something else,
and then type an interrupt from the keyboard (set to ctrl-c in my shell)
the background process is interrupted too, and unless it was written
to explicitly ignore interrupts, the background process exits.

This happens when I enter
command &
from the ksh prompt.

Shouldn't the shell be trapping those interrupts generated from the keyboard?
Have I got something set up wrong somewhere??
Anyone else notice this?

	Tanya

    ###   ######  ######   #####       Tanya Katz       (516) 231-5400 x430
  #     # #     # #     #  #####       ...uunet!ncrlnk!adds!tanya
  ####### #     # #     #       #      tanya.katz at adds.newyork.ncr.com

  Applied Digital Data Systems, Inc.   100 Marcus Blvd., Hauppauge, NY 11788