What's this "sys" window nonsense?

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.islp.ny.us
Tue Apr 18 09:40:51 AEST 1989

In article <526 at flatline.UUCP> erict at flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) writes:

|>(Running 3.0 on a 3b1.)
|>
|>What's this "sys" window device name, and why is it so screwy?
|>I'm using windy and the new/improved wmgr, if that makes any difference.
|>Basically, I spawn a new window/shell, but a ps reveals:
|>
|>   PID TTY  TIME COMMAND
|>  1111 sys  0:01 ps
|>  1109 sys  0:00 sh

Yes, another one of those infamous bugs with the UNIX pc.  It seems
that the window driver improperly shuts down (sometimes).  When this happens
/dev/syscon get's unlinked from /dev/window...  How, who knows?  But the
thing (kludge) you can use to fix this is stick this in your /etc/rc:

ln /dev/syscon /dev/window
ln /dev/systty /dev/window

Make sure the devices look like this (particularly the major minor numbers)...

   0 crw-rw-rw-  3 root    sys       7,  0 Jan  1  1970 /dev/syscon
   0 crw-rw-rw-  3 root    sys       7,  0 Jan  1  1970 /dev/systty
   0 crw-rw-rw-  3 root    sys       7,  0 Jan  1  1970 /dev/window

-Lenny
--
Lenny Tropiano             ICUS Software Systems         [w] +1 (516) 582-5525
lenny at icus.islp.ny.us      Telex; 154232428 ICUS         [h] +1 (516) 968-8576