Gyyn's directory stuff on UnixPC

Jon Sadler sadler at heurikon.UUCP
Tue Apr 25 23:58:17 AEST 1989

In article <14290 at duke.cs.duke.edu> wouk at romeo.cs.duke.edu (Arthur Wouk) writes:
>i am looking into putting Doug Gwyn's port of bsd-like directory
>routines to my 3b1. i find two sets of sources: one very small called
>libndir and a much larger one called libndir-posix, both at simtel20.
[deleted lines]
>i ask the following questions of anyone who has installed this code:
>
>does either of them present a problem on the 3b1 under 3.51?
>
>where in libc.a did you put the files?

In a former life, I worked on about 110 3b1's at a major university.  One of
the first things I "brought up" were the ndir routines.  These were retrieved
from j.cc.purdue.edu, home of the (internet) archive site for comp.sources.unix.
I am not sure which package corresponds to (whether libndir or libndir-posix)
but it was not hard to get the package up and running on the 3b1.
Basically, all that I did was place the appropriate dirent.h files into
/usr/include and /usr/include/sys, and then compile the source.  The
resulting .o files are run through ranlib.  (We didn't have ranlib on the
3b1, so I just skipped this step.)  Next, I used ar to "tack" the .o files
onto /lib/libc.a.  They ended up on the END of the archive file, but this
should not matter since there are not any other funcations in libc.a that
have the same name as the routines in ndir.

Since then, I have not run into any problems with the instalation of
these routines.  (This numbers over 100 computer-years of use.)

If you have any questions, or problems, feel free to get in contact with me.

Jonathan Sadler
Heurikon Corp.

--
BANG PATH:      ...rutgers!uwvax!heurikon!sadler   SNAIL: Jonathan Sadler
                ...rutgers!nucsrl!laidbak!sadler          Heurikon Corp.